Simplify for Joy #27 & 28: Donate & Declutter

If only we could lose weight as fast as we lose time over here.


No. Seriously. Where'd the last two weeks go?

To get us back on the Simplifaction Track, we have a double-bill for you today:

PC: Delta Gamma Designs

Donate


Marli's one smart cookie. She's a way more intentional shopper than I am. In all the years I've known her (her entire life) I've never seen her buy anything on a whim. Her personal style is more classic than mine, and she tends to use/wear something until it's all worn out. On the off chance that there is something she no longer wears, she'll give it to her mother's housekeeper or donate it to her local hospice. Guess whose closets holds quirky prints, bright colours and tutus, and whose house is usually a mess?

I won't go as far as calling myself a hoarder, but I must admit that I do find it difficult to give away a load of stuff in one go. What I've started to do, though, is to give things away one-by-one. Whether it's a pair of shoes, a shirt or a book, when I come across anything that I no longer wear or use, it means that it's time to face the fact that it's done providing me joy. As/When I see it, I give it away. Usually to a colleague, friend, or my housekeeper. It feels great knowing that, although the item is done serving a purpose in my life, it can now bring joy to someone else's. Go on. Try it. It's a rush.

Declutter


Getting through my day-to-day work is easier when I focus on one task at a time, so it just makes sense that the same can be true for decluttering around the house.

Ms. Layne suggests we "Choose one surface—one—that you can declutter right now. The kitchen counters, your dining table, a desk or dresser, your catch-all drawer." If like me, you are easily overwhelmed with your domestic workload, this is a great tip!

Now if you'll excuse me, I think it's time that I go unpack that travel bag I used for that trip in June...




*What’s This?


Every week through 2017, we'll attempt one of Erica Layne's 52 Obtainable Ways to Simplify Your Life. For more info, you can read our introductory post here.

Comments

Popular Posts